Monday, October 22, 2007

Elastic waist turned faced (Simplicity 5597)



The fabric was on sale, so I thought I'd give this pattern a try. I liked the way the flounce is longer in the back and shorter in the front. I thought that gave the skirt a floaty, breezy, summer look. That is, until I tried on the skirt. The pattern called for a half elastic, half tie waist. It looked awful on me. I had to make some changes to it...

Pattern:
Simplicity 5597 (Similar to faced 4882--I should have bought that one instead.)
View: B
Size:
10 (which was waay tooo big)
Fabric:
Cotton print

Things I learned:

  • I had known that an elastic waist didn't look particularly flattering on me, but this was awful. I should have known not to buy elastic waist patterns. They just don't look good on me. Note to self: Don't ever buy an elastic waist pattern.
  • This skirt is too long for me. I could shorten the pattern next time.
  • I immediately decided to change it to smooth front and elasticized back. This heloed in the sense that the skirt looked great from the front, but the elastic made the back look like a balloon.

    I wore it a few times, but then I decided that the elasticized waist just had to go. I took the waist and hip lines from a straight skirt pattern, drafted a facing, and redid the entire skirt with a side zipper. Even though it didn't turn out to be the best zipper ever that I had put in, it loooked a great deal better than the original variation on me. What a difference!

    Now the skirt fits nicely. It's not my favorite summer skirt, but it's definitely wearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment